Monday, May 24, 2004

Sweating is the new makeup

Since the second I left work on Friday til about 2:00 today, I have been sweating. Chuck, our landlord, kept saying that he would install the air conditioner and told us that we would be okay until this weekend, but I beg to differ. Waking up every morning in sticky sheets is not comforting. I yearn for the days when I lived on Long Island and Beryl would set the central air at arctic temperatures. My friends used to come over to my house in the summer in sweatpants and sweatshirts because they knew how cold my mom kept our house. Beryl likes it cold year round - she sleeps with the window open in the winter. I am embracing sweat though, I have no choice. It's very rocknroll. That nice sweaty glow has replaced my MAC foundation. If I attempt to put makeup on it melts off my face.

Friday nite was the first time in a long time that I stayed in. I watched the Strokes on David Letterman. They performed "The End has No End" which was nice because they just ended a 3-month long tour and I'm sure that they must have been happy to be back in NYC. Julian wore a white blazer with a black T-shirt and white unlaced hightops circa 1986. He sang a little slower and had a little more acne, probably due to sweating. After the performance, I hopped on the internet to do a little Strokes research and stumbled upon the news that Julian is engaged to Juliet, the Strokes asst. manager. In fact, Julian and Juliet had an engagement party in Providence the night after I saw him in Boston. (side note - there was a girl that resembled Juliet in the audience at Boston - the more I think about it the more I think it WAS her.) And he announced that they were engaged at the Central Park Summerstage show last Wednesday. This news makes me sad. But Liz predicts "that the marriage will last approximately three months before julian accidently stabs his new wife with a broken beer bottle and they get seperated and he goes to rehab." So this makes me happy. It's not that I think that I am going to marry Julian, cuz god only knows I can't even get Diner Boy to like me, but to think of Julian as a married man is crazy to me. Part of the whole appeal is that he is a sweaty drunken rocknroll bachelor. That is hot. Now he is going to be a sweaty drunken rocknroll husband? What next? Is he going to have an MTV reality show about married life, please fucking spare me. I would rather eat a cicada then have to deal with that. So I am dealing with the news and I am sweating.

On Saturday, I was able to see my new rocknroll obsession, Benji of Ambulance LTD. I love Benji - he looks a bit like Diner Boy and closes his eyes when he plays guitar. They sounded great. I was up close to the stage, I do this because I like to escape the talking people and the less people in front of me the better I can see the cute rocknrollers. (this is why I am the Hard Tomorrows superfan.) The best part of the Ambulance shows are the last two songs. They always close with Young Urban followed by Yoga Means Union (which always reminds me of Urban Yoga)and I love when Marcus and Benji start simultaneously wanking. It sounds incredible and it looks so good. I love the disc, but I prefer the live show.

After the show, Liz and Mike dropped me off at the Stripes v. Polka Dots party on Irving. People were dancing inside, but it was unbearably hot inside and Sarah, Rishi and I among others hung out on the front porch. Funny things that happened at the party: Kelly in bikini and Alex in underwear, Ben talking about Dillybeans and going camping, Bobby climbing onto the roof, cops stopping by 3 times, tug of war, people calling people at 4 in the morning and giving out the address. At about 4:30, Sarah, Rishi, Bobby and I were hungry and went to the Diner, where we saw Maile at the counter and were waited on by none other than Diner Boy - whose name for the record is John. I had a headache and masacra under my eyes (from being sweaty) and looked a mess and I can't believe that Diner Boy saw me in this condition. However, his hair was sticking up all over the place and Rishi asked me why his hair looked like that and I said that it was cute. Diner Boy thought that I was a vegetarian.

Sunday I sweated, took the airconditoner out of the boiler room, moved my bed away from the wall so that Chuck could install it, drank a iced soy latte, walked to Pop, drank a smoothie with the mammal, walked through Meridian Hill Park, watch Hollywood Homicide with Liz, swooned over Josh Hartnett, ate Astor, watched Viva La Bam, swooned over Tim Glomb(he builds stuff and has really hot tattoos), by the time I got home I was still sweating and Chuck did not put the air conditioner in my window so after killing a roach I took a cold shower and went to bed.

It's easy to wake up at 7:00am when you are sweating in bed. The sheets get all wrinkled and the last thing that you want to do is hit the snooze button, which is a good thing because I had a big meeting today and had a lot to do, so I had to run all over the building today, which made me fucking sweaty at work. Finally around 2, the running subsided and I could sit and do desk work again and enjoy the airconditioning. I also enjoyed the catering. I did not enjoy my cigarette breaks, because there are dead cicadas everywhere. Gross. I am getting ready to leave work now. I hope that Chuck has installed the airconditioner like he told Sarah that he would do today. I want to drink beer outside though. Want to or no? Let's sweat some more.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Mawl Records!. Make your own badge here.

Upcoming Shows:

Dec 22:Macitajs on Acid @ the Black Cat

Jan 7:Len Bias, High Fives Happy Endings @ the Black Cat

Jan 11: The Hard Tomorrows @ Wonderland

Jan 19: Benjy Feree @ The Black Cat

Jan 22: Camera Obscura & Essex Green @ 9:30 Club

Feb 9:The Rapture @ Sonar

Feb 13: Stellastar* @ Rock n Roll Hotel

Feb 25: the One AM Radio @ Warehouse Nextdoor

Mar 4: Scissor Sisters @ 9:30 Club

Mar 6:Badly Drawn Boy @ 9:30 Club

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Check me out!