Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Sorry that these blogs have become few and far between. Here are some updates:

Rites of Spring

I called out sick on the Friday before the party, because I had partied a little too much at the French Kicks/Ambulance LTD show. Waking up at 9:00 a.m. makes you feel like you shouldn't bother going to work at all. If you are still in bed when you are supposed to be at your desk makes you wish that you could actually work from bed. Like a good mom, I drove Sarah to work and then went over to Hobart to wake up Liz who the nite before had to lie down in my car after the show she was so drunk. I found her in her tropical room in bed. I didn't care that I had to wait for her to wake up, I was so happy to not be at work. I spent the next hour trying to motivate Liz to get up while going through her cds in order to create some killer mixes for the party. Then Liz goes How did I get yellow highlighter on my hand. I am fucked up. I am like Paris Hilton... Hold on, I might puke. Then she got up and ran to the bathroom. We thought she was better, but Dos Gringos was hard for us. Liz became Bunkenstein shortly afterwards as she crossed the road with her arms stretched out in front of her. Later that day we went through things in the basement showed the man from the dump what to take which was basically anything that we deemed trash and swept for the party-prep. After the house looked super clean we took a trip to the party store followed by a stop at Sephora to buy Sarah her birthday presents and some presents for me too (purple eyeshadow and lipgloss that tastes like sugar.) This took to long and I was late picking Sarah up for spraytan. (We have missed the opportunity to do spraytan one time too many that we have since abandoned this plan - besides it has been really sunny out lately and I am getting a lot of natural color.) The day ended by getting really stoned and decorating for the party. Actually, now that I think about it I didn't go to bed until 5:00 a.m. I stayed up later making the killer mixes for the party.

The party was excellent. I realized early on in the nite (possibly 9:30/10:00) that there were no boys with bigbabyfacemessyhair so I just concentrated on me and my state of partiness. By 11:00 I was wasted. The Cause started it all out with a bang. They did a cover of Hey Ya - and everyone went fucking crazy. Other highlights for me were the Thundersluts - they make me feel like I am in the 80s - Elizabeth is so incredible up there and the lyrics are rad. The Hard Tomorrows sounded so good - I was falling down they were so great. They played the song that Liz calls the Rocker and I call It Get Heavy. And I really love that song. It replaces Jaywalker as my new fav. When they didn't play TakeDown (my true all time favorite song ever) we whined and cried and screamed that they had to play it - we even threatened with the fact that it was Sarah's birthday so they had to and they DID. After that it get foggy. I watched a little bit of Reizou's set and then went outside - Betty and Becca arrived and I told Betty that I would watch her car while she went inside for a little. I was good at doing this for some reason. However, I missed Reizou wheeling over the keg during their set and doing keg stands - bummer. Like I said the rest is a haze. But I did NOT get sick - that is the key. I did have to sit in the alley for a little bit, but I persevered and eventually was able to walk home with filthy feet and dirty jeans.

Champagne Brunch the next day at Erin Worley's was fun. We were all pretty hung over, but we sat on the roof in the sun and drank champagne. It really does not get any better than that. After brunch I changed to an all american clean up outfit and headed over to Hobart for cleaning crew. We swept and mopped to the Strokes and rearranged furniture. That nite Liz, Mike, Perry and I sat in the clean house got stoned, watched The Sopranos and Deadwood (everyone's favorite new show) and ate yummy organic chinese food.

DC9 - an introduction to Paul Michel the band

I had missed Paul Michel's prior shows and was very excited that this one was on a Friday. He was incredible. I was really into his set and he has a cute brother that plays bass. Sarah and I got there at 8 so that should tell you something about the state of mind I was in by the time we left. There was talk of going to Lucky Bar cuz Maile was working the back bar, but we ended up going to the Cat. I left my umbrella at DC9.

New York Minute

On Saturday, Carrie and I went to see New York Minute - yes this IS the Mary-Kate and Ashley movie. And YES, I loved it. The twins run around New York getting into trouble in towels and rocking out. This is fun. I wish that I could do this.
It was nice to see Carrie. We used to live together back in college and I don't really see her enough anymore.

Drunk in the sun on sunday

On Sunday I thought that I would go down to the museum via Pop (sarah's store,) but somehow I ended up at St. Ex for 5 hours. Drinking in the sun really does not motivate you. I then watched the Sunday nite shows with Liz and Perry again stoned, so Deadwood is really scary and confusing for me and I love it. It is about Cowboys. Then this stoney dork decided to go to the Diner with Sarah and Becca and ask Diner Boy 101 questions. I think he kinda liked that. He is funny. Like tripping on a chair and smiling at me when he does it.

Present Day

Right now I am drinking Orangina at my desk and listening to the Stills. I love Orangina because its fizzy and its juice and the bottle is really fun to hold. I also love the Stills and I am excited because they are playing tonite at the 9:30club. So after work I am going to make dinner and meet up with Liz and Mike for drinks (and Sarah although I do not know her plan since she is at her dad's house right now) and we are going to go to the show. The last time that I saw the Stills we were right up front and it was really emotional for me and I cried when Dave the drummer came out from behind his drums and they played Yesterday Never Tomorrows. They played with the Unicorns last time and that was one of the best shows ever. Liz keeps saying that Mike says that the opening bands tonite (metic and sea ray) are really good and we should go see them.

What am I doing tomorrow?

Well, first I am going to attempt to get out of bed before 8:20 and try to make it to work before 9:20, but we all remember what happened the last time that I went to a show and then tried to go to work. I cannot call out sick tomorrow because I am going on vacation starting at 6:00 p.m. tomorrow nite. I am flying up to Boston to visit my brother and see the Strokes (who the Stills are opening for.) So my energy level is really up right now and I am fighting to make it through one more day.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Mawl Records!. Make your own badge here.

Upcoming Shows:

Dec 22:Macitajs on Acid @ the Black Cat

Jan 7:Len Bias, High Fives Happy Endings @ the Black Cat

Jan 11: The Hard Tomorrows @ Wonderland

Jan 19: Benjy Feree @ The Black Cat

Jan 22: Camera Obscura & Essex Green @ 9:30 Club

Feb 9:The Rapture @ Sonar

Feb 13: Stellastar* @ Rock n Roll Hotel

Feb 25: the One AM Radio @ Warehouse Nextdoor

Mar 4: Scissor Sisters @ 9:30 Club

Mar 6:Badly Drawn Boy @ 9:30 Club

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Check me out!