Wednesday, June 09, 2004

My stamp has worn off and I cut my wristbands off on Monday nite. I made it through Monday at work, even though I couldn't decide what would be worse: to go home early or drop dead at my desk.

On Saturday nite, Mike and I drove up to Baltimore to rendezvous with Liz at the Ottobar to see The Unicorns. Liz had been in West Virginia for 24 hours at a family reunion. The show was great. It was so fun to be reunited with Liz and help her out of rainy family hell. The Unicorns was the best relief for this, and it was relief for us all. Nick, Alden and Jaime (otherwise known as Pretty lips, lil shrimpy and big & crazy) were so great!!!! Better than the last time we saw them. Shrimpy had so much stage presence this time and pretty lips cut his hair and big & crazy was still big, but not so crazy. After the show I told pretty lips that they were so great and their show was more professional and that I saw them in February (maybe january) and that show was so crazy. And pretty lips agreed that last show was insane (I mean some mullet wig wearing dude spit beer on me and the mammal.) I told him that I was on my way to Asbury Park for the Great Bamboozle. He was really interested in this and I told him about it and overall it was lovely to chat with the cute Canadian.

After the show, we met up with Mike's friend Brian also know as the Ghoul. We followed him back to his apartment in Towson where we got really stoned and watched the Chris Cunningham DVD of music videos. This proceeded to scare the shit out of me, with the exception of the Madonna video. Most of the videos on the DVD were Aphex Twin and possibly the scariest things ever created in life. I don't know what is wrong with Cunningham. Around 4 am we realized that it was time for bed. I slept on an egg crate in a burrito sleeping bag.

I woke up to the sound of an owl alarm coming out of Mike's phone. I was really excited for the trip up to Asbury Park and THE STONE PONY. This is the place where Liz and I first lost our shit. We saw the Strokes there in 2001 and have never had such an experience since, (I will blog more about losing our shit in Asbury Park later.) Finally, Liz and Mike awoke and we left. Stopped for some Starbucks and we were on the way. Mike rode shotgun and Liz sat in the back and played with origami, wrote a letter to her aunt and changed the CDs.

When we got to Asbury Park we were hungry and we spent an hour driving around trying to find this diner that Liz and I had ate at the last time we were there. But for some reason we couldn't find it. There was a good possibility that it closed. The thing about Asbury Park is that most of the buildings are closed and condemmed. This adds a mysterious vibe to the town and makes you very nostalgic for the past. You can imagine how the place used to be when Springsteen ruled and people would stay at the Metropolitan Hotel and play on the Boardwalk. But now it is rundown and gloomy, and basically a ghost town. The sky was grey and as soon as I hopped out of the car tears welled up in my eyes as I remembered the last time we were there.

To be continued tomorrow...

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Mawl Records!. Make your own badge here.

Upcoming Shows:

Dec 22:Macitajs on Acid @ the Black Cat

Jan 7:Len Bias, High Fives Happy Endings @ the Black Cat

Jan 11: The Hard Tomorrows @ Wonderland

Jan 19: Benjy Feree @ The Black Cat

Jan 22: Camera Obscura & Essex Green @ 9:30 Club

Feb 9:The Rapture @ Sonar

Feb 13: Stellastar* @ Rock n Roll Hotel

Feb 25: the One AM Radio @ Warehouse Nextdoor

Mar 4: Scissor Sisters @ 9:30 Club

Mar 6:Badly Drawn Boy @ 9:30 Club

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Check me out!