Thursday, October 21, 2004

If you've lost your faith in love and music, oh the end won't be long.

After reading everyone's reviews of the Libertines show at the 9:30 Club, I am adding mine. Unfortuntely, Tuesday nite left me with the chills and a massive hangover yesterday, so I had to leave work early and fall asleep on my couch watching Annie at 1:00 p.m. So, one day late, here are my thoughts on the Libertines.

I was wrong about Pete, he wasn't there, even though at the last minute, I heard word that he was. Shows at 9:30 are much better when they are not sold out. The crowd was fun, April and I were surrounded by little boys and one Incubus dancing type fan who bumped into me and made me burn my finger with my cigarette. That guy sucked, but it was a much less rowdy crowd than the Killers show a few weeks ago. I thought the Libertines sounded great. It can't compare to the Black Cat show they did Summer 2003, but overall, I enjoyed their performance. It seemed that they rushed through some of the songs, but as the nite went on their sounded better. April determined that they played for almost 2 hours, which is pretty good, since they act like such rockstars and usually these kind of bands just want to finish up and start the party, ie the Strokes who play a 40 minute set with NO encore. The shirtless encore was great. Carl has mini nipples.

DC9 advertised the official Libertines dance after party, however, there was no dancing and no Libertines until almost 1:00 a.m. I like DC9 a lot, but they really have the wrong set up for dancing. The DJ booth is too far from the dance floor and they don't seem the get the right music playing until it's too late. They played the new U2 song, the one from the iPod commercial, the one that reminds me of the Frequency. It sucks though and the mammal told the DJ that fact. He apologized later for playing it. The Libertines were hounded as soon as they entered the bar. Mostly by the Carl look-a-like in the striped blazer who had his arm around Carl during the encore and this one lanky, but frumpy blonde had Carl cornered the rest of the nite. April, the mammal and I danced on the couches in the "make-out room" trying to get his attention. We came to the official decision that the Libertines are snobs, esp. Pete's tour replacement.

Radio 4, on the other hand, are very friendly. Gerard is adorable. Later we spotted them leaving a 7-11 and they all waved at us as our cab rode away. (Speaking of cabs, uh!!! I hate them. The mammal had to fight with our cabdriver when we got out because he overcharged us.) We left DC9 way after last call, maybe 2:30am. Waiting for a cab, we found the Libertines on the opposite corner, so we crossed to wait for our cab there. April and the mammal smoked a cigarette with Pete's replacement, who I can't bring myself to like, because I just want Pete to be there. In fact, I think this is why people were so disappointed with the live show. Pete not touring with the Libertines is like John Lennon not touring with the Beatles, something is lost.

Let me tell you about the Liberation dance party at DC9. This event begins on Friday, November 5 and will take place every Friday. Hopefully, soon, April and I will be DJing. More info to come soon.

|

1 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Avram Polinsky said...

I dunno what you're talking about, but new U2 song rocks. I can't wait for the new CD to come out, and I hope it rocks out as much as the single.
That's wicked rad about getting to DJ. What are you gonna call yourself? DJ Megadork?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Mawl Records!. Make your own badge here.

Upcoming Shows:

Dec 22:Macitajs on Acid @ the Black Cat

Jan 7:Len Bias, High Fives Happy Endings @ the Black Cat

Jan 11: The Hard Tomorrows @ Wonderland

Jan 19: Benjy Feree @ The Black Cat

Jan 22: Camera Obscura & Essex Green @ 9:30 Club

Feb 9:The Rapture @ Sonar

Feb 13: Stellastar* @ Rock n Roll Hotel

Feb 25: the One AM Radio @ Warehouse Nextdoor

Mar 4: Scissor Sisters @ 9:30 Club

Mar 6:Badly Drawn Boy @ 9:30 Club

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Check me out!